Monday, August 30, 2010

Here I am again

I have trigeminal neuralgia. I've had it for a lot of years, still every time it flares up it catches me off guard and I go through all kinds of emotion. I've been struggling with it for several weeks now, and it's really got me this time. Usually a simple med change can get things back to normal fairly quick. That isn't the case this time. I've been through several nights having to take pain meds that I try not to take, and several different medications, adding this one, subtracting that one, stopping and starting different ones, it's been challenging to say the least. The newest one is working! The side affects are kicking my butt right now.

One of the results of this challenge is that I haven't been able to run as much as I was before. Increasing my heart rate, increases my level of pain. Last night was my first night out for several weeks ( I have run a few times on a tread mill, but that just isn't the same). I couldn't even run a mile. One of my goals in this life changing journey that I am on is to run in the Turkey Trot in November. It is the first 5k that MP and J ran in, so I picked it to be my first. I was up to running just about 2 miles 5 times a week. So I've had a set back to say the least. My natural tendency is to give up, use my condition as an excuse to not continue. I'm trying really hard to fight that tendency. So, I'm going to back up on my training plan, and work my way back up. I still have time to be ready by Thanksgiving. So today I went to the gym, and tomorrow night I will be outside, running again!

No comments:

Post a Comment